When This Teen’s Common Habit Left Her In A Coma, Her Family Issued A Desperate Warning

Image: Andrea Fullmer

Maddie Nelson had spent much of 2019 feeling unwell. In the summer of that year, however, the 18-year-old’s health began deteriorating dramatically. And, after Nelson was subsequently hospitalized and found to have a form of pneumonia, doctors felt that their best option was to place her in a medically induced coma. It was a frightening turn of events for the previously fit young woman – and the apparent explanation for her condition would cause her story to go viral.

Image: Facebook/Maddie Nelson

Nelson had started off 2019 as a relatively healthy teen, and like most people her age, the Utah native enjoyed hanging out with her friends. Little did Nelson suspect, though, that one of the seemingly innocuous habits she and her buddies all shared would leave her hospitalized – and with her life at real risk.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT